Doug

Doug
Doug at the Tofino Reunion, 2009

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Dougie

This is for you Dougie.

When we were young (and when I say young I mean in our teens), I knew you as Dougie. We met up at the cottage. My parents had a cottage at the other end of the lake from yours and I remember watching you skimming along the headland in your red boat. In fact, I listened for the sound of its motor and looked eagerly to see if your were up at the cottage so we could get together, share poems, talk about the meaning of life and just be there experiencing the potential of it all. I was so excited when I realized you were on the lake. I don't think you ever knew that because we never talked about any feelings between us. They were just there. You were the guy who had that radiant face when you laughed. You had a sarcastic wit that was incomparable. I think you must have been a monk in a past life because you also had that quality about you.
I remember one time in particular when we went out into the middle of the lake in the boat at night and turned the engine off. The sky was pristine and when we looked up there was a northern light show that was more incredible than I have ever seen since. We were both in awe and could not believe the colours swirling around above us in the sky. It was unforgetable.

You are unforgetable Doug. I will always honour you in my heart and in speaking about you with others. I saw you love and look after your children and your wife. We lost touch after you and Marilyn broke up but I always thought about you and wondered how you were. In fact I had just been thinking about trying to get in touch when I heard about your death.
I am so sorry that life was so tough on you. You had a sensitivity that was palpable. I hope that you have found peace.

Many will remember you with love and fondness.

May we all honour your light and your memory.

Love to you Dougie
Nancy

2 comments:

  1. Nancy - A great remembrance. I am at the cottage, looking out the window over the water. Maybe the red boat will appear. Doug's brother Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nancy, for such a wonderful remembrance.

    Dad woke Maddy and me up to watch the Northern Lights on Steenburg Lake. I'll never forget it. We rowed out into the middle of the lake and lay back to watch.

    I'm so sorry that you will miss the memorial.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete